Thursday, July 14, 2011

Superiority Complex

Everyone has that one (or more) friend who seems to find the bad in everything. Nothing seems to be good enough for them.

I've always wondered what it was about them that made them that way. Was it how they were raised? Do they have some great disappointment in their lives that tarnishes everything good? Maybe it's even in their DNA. Whatever the cause, they always seem to want to push their bad attitudes on others, infecting us all with their ugly mindset.

They think they're so superior; that somehow their witty comments, which they feel the need to express, make them better than everyone. Honestly, I think it's actually the exact opposite.

The Eightfold Path of the Buddha says you must have right views, right intentions, selflessness and love, and to promote good and prevent evil, etc. I believe this is all I need to know; a mantra of sorts. That having a positive attitude will make me an enlightened person.

3 comments:

Phillip said...

Your are only enlightened if you are instructed. That is what enlightenment is!

Love,

MOM

stephaniehenderson said...

Although that is the literal definition, the meaning I was going for was about self-realization, which is a step in Buddhism.

Andrea McNeil said...

Another good post. This really spoke to me today. Just what I needed to hear. Also- I didn't know you were such a great writer! Keep posting and I will keep reading! :) -Andrea